Monday 4 November 2013

Fort Langley's Heritage Apples



Today's uplifting sunny weather reminded me of a perfect outing that I took
with my partner a short while ago. We decided to revisit Fort Langley since
we had only been to this charming place once before.

Fort Langley had many surprises in store for us during that visit. After admiring
a lovely painting of an apple tree, my partner learned from the owner of the
Birthplace of B. C. Gallery that the ancient apple tree was actually part of a
nearby heritage area in Derby Reach Regional Park.

Nothing makes my partner's eyes light up faster than the promise of unexplored
terrain. We quickly left the gallery (which is the best gallery that I've ever seen)
in search of new adventures.

When we arrived at Derby Reach Regional Park, we parked close to a historic
barn. We soon learned that we were very close to a forest trail called the
Houston Trail, and so we happily ventured into the woods.

The forest was full of really large deciduous trees as well as the usual evergreens.
The path was littered with enormous yellow maple leaves, and many tree limbs
were covered with moss and ferns. The sun filtered through the forest canopy
and turned ordinary yellows into golds. Many rotting logs were decorated with
masses of tiny, pale toadstools.

After leaving the majestic woods, we returned to the heritage area to take in the
ancient apple trees. Some of them were so hollow that we were amazed that they
were still alive. All were gnarled and twisted, and many bore fruit. Signage along
the way told us the ages and varieties of the trees (the oldest was believed to be
from the late 1850s).

The idyllic heritage trail followed the Fraser River. As we ambled along, we
inspected apple trees and even a mysterious lone pear tree (variety unknown).
I particularly liked a rose hedge, which was full of shiny red hips. My partner
was impressed with a nearby farmhouse. As we climbed a rolling hill and
admired the distant farmhouse, we both began to feel as if we had magically
entered Beatrix Potter's Lakeland!

Well Readers, I hope that you've enjoyed reading about my adventure.
Hopefully this will inspire you to enjoy some adventures of your own!

Because of the long weekend, I'll be posting my next topic on Tuesday, November 12th.




No comments:

Post a Comment