Monday 18 November 2013

The Craft Fair Experience

Sometimes I think that I'd make a great magpie since I have an eye for
beautiful things and love to collect them. When the holiday season strikes,
my desire to collect is heightened, since I know that soon I'll have an excuse
to 'decorate the nest' as much as I please and no eyebrows will be raised until
the new year.

This weekend I prowled Delbrook Rec Centre's annual Christmas craft fair in
search of the choicest trinkets. I enjoy buying Christmas ornaments, but since
I already have enough ornaments at home to warrant two separate collections
themed by colour, I am very choosy when I consider adding to my decorations.

At the craft fair I bought only one more ornament for myself: a wooden hand-
painted gingerbread man. He's matte brown with shiny white icing and a cheerful
disposition. I admit that I was charmed by Sue Pate's snow folk ornaments. Each
snow person was made of felt, hand-stitched, and wore a tiny knitted scarf. Some
snow folk preferred to hang on the display tree by themselves, but others huddled
with a partner or family group. I bought a snow couple for my thoughtful partner,
but I may buy some for myself in the near future.

A variety of goods were available at the fair. As expected, jewellery and knitwear
were prevalent. This suited me since I needed a new toque and knew that my mother
would appreciate jewellery as a Christmas gift. I was also hoping to buy a beeswax
candle that day, and was not disappointed.

I think that there was something for everyone at the fair. Here's a random list to give
you an idea of what was on offer:

  • ceramic bowls with distinctive glazes
  • soft toy sausage dogs with patterned bodies
  • striped wooden cutting boards
  • greeting cards featuring wildlife photography
  • personalized book marks themed by hobbies or interests
  • candle-holding lanterns decorated with landscape art
  • gift pouches made by African grandmothers

If this list is making you wish that you were there, you may be in luck. Delbrook
Centre is hosting the craft fair again on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
There is an entrance fee of $2. I may see you there if I return for more snow folk!

Thanks for reading. I'll post again on Tuesday, November 26.



No comments:

Post a Comment